Requesting an Expedited Consular Appointment
If you have an unforeseen travel need as per one of the criteria listed below, you may qualify for an expedited appointment depending on availability at the Embassy or Consulate. It is important to ensure you meet all the criteria, because applicants are only allowed to create one expedited appointment request.
All applicants requesting an expedited appointment are required to first pay visa fees for a regular visa appointment. Applicants who are granted an expedited appointment but subsequently refused a visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate will not be allowed to utilize this option to obtain another expedited appointment.
Purpose of travel is to obtain urgent medical care, or to accompany a relative or employer for urgent medical care.
- A letter from your doctor in India describing the medical condition and why you are seeking medical care in the United States.
- A letter from the physician or hospital in the United States indicating that they are prepared to treat your case and providing the approximate cost of the treatment.
- Evidence of how you will pay for the cost of the treatment.
Purpose of travel is to attend the funeral of or make arrangements for repatriating the body of an immediate family member (mother, father, brother, sister, child,) in the United States.
- A letter from the funeral director stating the contact information, the details of the deceased, and the date of the funeral.
- You must also present evidence that the deceased is an immediate relative.
Urgent Business Travel
Purpose of travel is to attend to an urgent business matter where the travel requirement could not be predicted in advance.
- A letter of invitation from the corresponding company in the United States attesting to the urgency of the planned visit, describing the nature of the business and that either the U.S. or local company will suffer a significant loss of opportunity if an expedited appointment is not available.
- Evidence of a necessary training program in the United States of three months duration or less, to include letters from both the local employer and the U.S. company providing the training. Both letters should include a detailed explanation of the training and explain why either the U.S. or local company will suffer a significant loss of opportunity if an expedited appointment is not available.
Students or exchange visitors
Purpose of travel is to begin or resume a valid program of study in the United States within 60 days when no regular visa appointments are available. This option is limited only to students and exchange students who are within 60 days of their start date. It is also limited only to applicants who have not been refused a visa within the last six months at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
Original Form I-20 or DS-2019 indicating start date of program within 60 days.
Applying for an Expedited Consular Appointment
- Pay the visa application fee and complete the DS-160 form.
- Schedule the appointment for the earliest available date, which includes expedited appointments. Complete the Expedited Request Form and note the type of urgency that qualifies you for an expedited appointment.
- The Embassy or Consulate will email you if your request is approved, alerting you to schedule your expedited appointment online. When your expedited appointment request is approved, it does not mean that your appointment has been rescheduled. You will receive an email notifying you to log in again and reschedule your new appointment to an earlier date. You will notice that your interview appointment is still the same when you log in. Select the “Reschedule Appointment” menu item on the left. If denied for an expedited appointment, keep your existing appointment.
Note: The email will arrive from this address: firstname.lastname@example.org so be sure to check spam or junk folders frequently.
- Print the appointment confirmation page. The priority will be noted as “emergency.”
- Visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the date and time of your visa interview. You will need to bring a printed copy of your appointment letter, your Form DS-160 confirmation page, one photograph taken within the last six months, your current and all old passports, and the original visa fee payment receipt. Applications without all of these items will not be accepted.
- Interview Waiver Checklist: Are you eligible for a Drop Box appointment?
- National Interest Exceptions to H, L, and J Travel Bans
Join us on Wednesdays for a live webinar at 12 PM ET on critical immigration updates