Can You Bring Family With You to the U.S. on a Student Visa?

immigration attorney Richmond, VA Coming to the U.S. to earn a degree at an academic institution or a vocational school offers immigrants so many opportunities. They can use that degree to get a better-paying job back home or to increase the likelihood of starting a career in the U.S. and potentially earning permanent residence. Many students are adult learners with families of their own. If you’re worried about your family being able to accompany you to the U.S., speak with an immigration lawyer to learn how your family can accompany you.

Consult With a Lawyer

At Challa Law, we’re happy to act as the immigration attorney Richmond, VA residents or would-be residents need to get their entire families to the States. The sooner you speak with us, the smoother the immigration process will be. As soon as you start thinking about going to school in the U.S., talk to one of our attorneys to see what you need.

Who Qualifies?

Your spouse and any unmarried children — your children or step-children — under the age of 21 can qualify for an F-2 or M-2 Visa, depending on whether you qualify for an F-1 or an M-1 Visa. You must remain a full-time student for your family to retain their F-2 or M-2 status.

Difference Between F-1 and M-1

Students attending an SEVP-approved school qualify for the F-1 student visa; you must have this acceptance in hand before you actually apply for the visa. M-1 visas are issued to foreign students attending vocational schools in the U.S.

It may be because you have a family that you’re eager for better-paying jobs and earning a degree. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you’ll have to part with your family if you come to the U.S. for your education. With the help of the right attorney, you’ll be able to bring your immediate family along.