January 5, 2021
E-Verify distributed notices stating:
E-Verify is currently experiencing technical difficulties and remains unavailable. The technical team is currently attempting to restore the system. We’ll keep you informed on the progress.
After several hours of inoperability, the below update was provided.
E-Verify is temporarily not available due to technical difficulties. While E-Verify is unavailable, employers will not be able to:
- Access their E-Verify accounts
- Create E-Verify cases
- View or take action on any case
- Add, delete or edit any user account
- Reset passwords
- Edit company information
- Terminate accounts
- Run reports or view any information about an account
New Temporary Policies
We understand that E-Verify’s temporary unavailability may impact employer operations. We have implemented the following policies to minimize the burden on both employers and employees:
- The “three-day rule” is suspended for E-Verify cases affected by the unavailability of E-Verify. We will provide additional guidance regarding this deadline once the E-Verify system is fully operational. This does not affect Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, requirements. Employers must still complete Form I-9 no later than the third business day after an employee starts work for pay, and comply with all other Form I-9 requirements.
- The time period during which employees may resolve TNCs will be extended. The number of days E-Verify is not available will not count toward the days employees have to begin resolving their TNCs. We will provide additional guidance regarding these deadlines once E-Verify is fully operational.
- For federal contractors covered by the E-Verify federal contractor rule, please contact your contracting officer, as necessary, to inquire about extending federal contractor deadlines.
- Employers may not take any adverse action against an employee because the E-Verify case is in an interim case status, including while the employee’s case is in an extended interim case status due to the unavailability of E-Verify.
- Employers should also refer to ICE guidance on COVID-19 and ICE news releases for the latest information on Form I-9, Employment Verification policies.
Join us on Wednesdays for a live webinar at 12 PM ET on critical immigration updates
Contact us at email@example.com or 804-360-8482 to get your case started today.